I have always been one of the worst at removing my makeup every night. I hate the process, because it seems so time consuming. After washing you have to moisturize and protect your skin, especially those of us with sensitive skin. About nine months ago I began using a totally natural oil-based method that has totally changed my opinion on makeup removal. I have wanted to blog about my favorite natural makeup remover for a long time now, but I haven’t been sure exactly how to put this into words. Like most of the natural methods I’ve adopted over the past year, when I tell people I clean my face with oil, I get a bit of an odd reaction. And I can understand why. Cleansing your face with oil sounds like an oxymoron. You can’t cleanse anything with oil, can you?
Turns out, you actually can. Turns out oil breaks down even the most stubborn eye makeup quickly and easily.
I will start with the common objections first, the same objections I had, and then I will explain how it works. Let me just say that this is A-MAZ-ING for your skin. Seriously, you will adore how your skin feels at the end! Ditch those pricey eye creams, makeup removers and night creams. You won’t need them anymore!
- I have oily skin. I know it sounds all kinds of wrong to use oil on any skin, especially oily skin. I am a 40 year veteran of the acne war myself. I know what that is like. But here’s a little chemistry for you: when you want to break down a substance, you look for a similar substance to do it with. Like dissolves like. Oil dissolves oil. Believe it or not, it is true! Using the right oils on your skin will actually break down the oils causing breakouts. What you will do is wipe away the yucky, grimy oil on your skin and replace it with healthy, nourishing oils instead.
- I have sensitive skin. Me too. It’s awful, and you have to be very careful what you put on your skin or it will end up a red, blotchy mess. Here’s the good news: using the right oils will not only cleanse your skin, but do it gently, and leave behind a protective barrier to protect your skin from the day’s assault.
Here’s the skinny on how it works:
- Pick an oil: almond oil, olive oil, argan oil, coconut oil, avocado, or jojoba oil.
- Pour it into a small bottle and add 20 drops of Frankincense essential oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Pull your hair back out of your face with a headband or hairclip.
- Pour a nickle size amount of your oil blend into your hand and rub it over your face. Let it sit for 15-30 seconds.
- Take a hot washcloth–as hot as you can stand it–and gently wipe off the oil and make up from your face. Rinse the cloth and repeat again, making sure to remove all of the oil.
Honestly, that’s it! You can get into mixing the oils for the right ratio and all kinds of other details, but it really doesn’t need to be that complicated. I currently use almond oil with a few drops of frankincense and lavender oil added. The almond oil is amazing on my skin–leaves it very smooth and silky. The frankincense helps with aging skin issues like fine lines and brown spots. Lavender is wonderful for making the skin appear younger. I used to use coconut oil because it was what I already have on hand. I have used jojoba as well with great results. Coconut oil can be comodogenic for some people, but since I’m removing all of the oil from my face, I never experienced that issue. I know that jojoba and castor oil are both highly recommended for people prone to breakouts. (Click here to find out where I buy essential oils and why I only recommend one specific brand!)
What’s the result? Not only does your waterproof mascara, eyeliner and foundation melt right off with ease, but your skin will be left smooth, supple and glowing. Since starting, I’ve discovered that I no longer need special moisturizers or creams for my skin. The dark puffy circles under my eyes have disappeared. Several of my fine lines have started to look a little less noticeable. And my skin is smooth enough that I don’t have to wear makeup every time I go out of the house!
I don’t wear makeup every day, so I don’t use the Oil Cleansing Method daily. I probably use it 2-3 times a week, which is enough to have made a huge difference in the way my skin feels. For extra anti-aging oomph, take one drop after cleansing and apply to the corners of your eyes and other areas where you are seeing age damage.
Even better, this makes a terrific gift! I bottle it up in a pretty little bottle and share it with my friends.